Friday, May 21, 2010

What have we Adkins been up to?

We at the Adkins home like to keep to ourselves; not because we're snobby or rude, but because we're introverts. We're also socially awkward. Now, my husband would correct me and say that he's the only true introvert in the home, besides our 6 year old son, but I think I'm more introverted than he gives me credit for.


So, just what have we been up to this year?

Well, last November we moved from Louisville, KY (pop. 261,624) to Midway, KY (pop. 1,604 - well, in all fairness it's now 1,609). Steve is working for Midway College for a former supervisor from Berea College. We made the move because we all needed to be off of a 2nd shift lifestyle. Also, I admit that I was completely overwhelmed with homeschooling Simon in the midst of nursing and potty-training. The move allowed me to feel comfortable sending Simon to public school that wasn't so... big city? And, another reason is that I wanted to finish my degree and I can do that through the online/evening school at Midway College with a staff spouse tuition waiver. I am studying Psychology, which is close to what I was studying at Berea College, Family Studies. I should be finished in 4 semesters. I am interested in human resources, non-profit work, or doing masters coursework in social justice or psychology.

We keep to ourselves here in our own little universe. I stay home with the littlest ones, opting out of full-time work and daycare at this point. It would actually be more expensive to work with daycare being $1,000 a month for two pre-schoolers, traveling expenses (because the economy is not exactly booming in Woodford County), and after-school care expenses for Simon.


While at home, I tend to the hearth, if you will, by keeping the home organized, clean(ish), planning healthy meals, coupon-cutting and price-matching to get the most bang for my buck at the supermarket, making my own laundry detergent, planting and weeding our new garden, and the list goes on and on.


I decided to start this blog for personal reasons. If you happen to read it, that's wonderful and I hope you enjoy something that I have to say or share. Maybe you can teach me something as well.


For my first post, I would like to add some pictures that re-cap the past few months in our home. Or at least what I have taken pictures of.



Anna turned 3.



Simon ran away with pirates.


Steve turned 31.


We got this chair. (Hey, it's a nice chair, and worth mentioning).



It snowed. A LOT.





Claire got engaged.





Steve made some beer.

We started a very ambitious garden. 4 total plots.

Anna learned the importance of a frosty mug.



Claire had her first 3-course dinner chewing gum.


Claire turned 1 !!!


Our seedlings hatched. Then most died.


Dodie got a new friend, Dadie.

The kids scored at the church easter egg hunt.

I joined a campaign to revive pillbox hats.


The girls got into their first cat fight. Fiesty!

Anna was Fancy Nancy for a day.


Mimi!!

Anna designed her first skirt and grew clown feet.

Papaw visited and I wore a skirt that was too short.


Anna Ingalls.
The fruits of our labors. Mesclun, radishes, spinach, scallions, and fresh dill.

Claire started walking! And has 4 teeth!


WHEW. And, we also joined the Lutheran Church (LCMS), I registered to vote as a democrat for the first time, and Steve and I have started the Couch to 5K program together.


Stay tuned for my adventures in friendship, homemade laundry detergent, Lutheranism, granola, and Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution. And, in June we'll be heading to SOUTH DAKOTA ( I know, right?) for the first ever Adkins Family Road/Camping Trip!!! You won't want to miss our review of The Farmer's Kitchen's Sour Cream and Raisin Pie in Atlantic, IA.




As always, don't forget to freak freely.

No comments:

Post a Comment